Tuesday 24 April 2012

Photo Stitching

Photo stitching has been a method that has been around for years, it simply is a series of photos taken, and then pieced together like a puzzle to compile a final image.

It's used for various reasons, one is to increase the mega pixel count, another is to get a wide Panoramic shot which is otherwise impossible to do with a modern DSLR.

Some cameras do have this feature built into the camera, I have never owned one that does, although I hear rumours of the new iOS Software will have this feature for the camera.

About a month ago I paid a visit to Brighton Pier, and funnily enough, I had my backpack on with ALL my lenses, that was the 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 50mm, and 105mm Micro. I mounted my Nifty Fifty as I just love this lens. For some reason I keep going back to this lens to shoot with. It's actually the cheapest lens I own, and the ones that's most used. I love it due to it's perspective and speed at f/1.4. But I'll save the details for another BLOG.

So I mounted the 50mm f/1.4 on my D7000 and treated it as a 'walk around' lens. It's actually quite difficult to shoot with this lens on a DX Body (APS-C Sensor), as I was shooting with the D7000.

I saw so many photo opportunities but with the 50mm mounted on the D7000, my field of view was restricted to an equivalent 75mm on a FX Body. So It was very difficult.

I saw the view from the Pier of Brighton, and I wanted that shot, although I was pretty lazy to stop, find a spot where it's quiet, and switch over my lenses to the 14-24mm, and then snap the shot, and once completed, switch back to the 50mm as I still mainly wanted to use that.

So instead, I just set my camera to Continuous High, and Fired away from Left to Right. First time doing this, and I made the mistake of slightly going downward as I was going to the right, and to get a completely squared off level image, I had to trim the top part of the image on the left side which cuts into the Wheel. But! That's a lesson learned!









D7000 + 50mm f/1.45 @ ISO100, f/2.5, 1/8000sec
Don't ask why I was at f/2.5, I clearly just forgot to change it up. Nonetheless, it was a good exposure with not much done in lightroom other than warming up the image and a touch on contrast added.

I stitched them up with Photoshop and this is what I came out with



I definitely intend on doing more Photo Stitching, but I mainly decided to try stitching now as I'm very keen on trying the Brenizer Method.

New BLOG and Photos will be coming soon for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment