Thursday 29 March 2012

Brighton Pier

As plans fell through last Sunday, and it was sucha sunny day, I could not bare the idea of wasting that day indoors... I decided to head out somewhere and enjoy the sunshine... Called a good friend of mine, and we both were indecisive about which park to goto, but as soon as she suggested Brighton Pier (even though it took 2hrs to get there), it felt like the right thing to do lol...

Almost got ripped off stupidly by NCP Brighton's Car Park at £4 per hour! Luckily she caught that lol... Drove around the corner and found parking which was 5-10min further walk, but was £4 for 9hrs!

Don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather walk that 5-10min and pay that! £4 per hour is ridiculous!

I decided to test out what it would be like shooting like a tourist, as next week I will be a tourist shooting around HK and Thailand... Couldn't decide what gear I would need, so I brought all of it... Stupid mistake...

Ended up carrying 5 lenses and a flash gun with me... and then I only ended up using the one lense... trusted old Nifty-Fifty...

The 50mm is well-known throughout the Photography world as an essential Prime lens... it sees the world as your eye sees the world, allbeit with a restricted field of view... but you find no distortion in the corners, and everything appears as your eyes would see them...

It's also a very fast lens, opening up to f/1.4, which can create a very shallow depth of field, however on a bright sunny day, creating a shallow depth of field with a wide opening like that was next to impossible. Even at ISO100 and 1/8000sec shutter, I was still over exposing by over a stop of light... I had to close it down to around f/2.5... which would probably be best anyway as it'll help for a sharper image...

As we walked toward the Pier, it was a completely different feel to London. London is so rushed, distant and cold. Brighton everyone was walking around, taking their time, and you get a sense of community there... One section you would have people stunt biking, another break dancing, another Basketball etc... All enjoying their own craft, and bonding together... You do get a really good vibe being there...

I decided to shoot the bikers, as what I saw them do was almost completely new to me... other than 1 clip I saw on YouTube, I haven't really seen Bikers perform stunts like this, it was very impressive... Some of the jumps I saw them do I couldn't make with my own two feet, let alone with a Bike inbetween my legs...


(Nikon D7000 + 50mm f/1.4 @ ISO100, 1/4000sec, f/2.5)

I thought this was a great capture. The 1/4000sec truly froze the moment of this biker mid-air in a jump... To me, this looks epic...
With the editing, I decided to give it a very warm slightly desaturated feel... I wanted it to represent the feel for weather, and give it a sense of a good moment in time... Therefore I desaturated the image a bit to give it a slight Vintage feel... Adding a tint of blue in the Shadows...

@LeoHoangPhoto

No comments:

Post a Comment