Sunday 28 December 2014

Sony obsession - Sony RX100 MK3 & Sony A6000

For the past few years I've owned a Fuji mirrorless system of some sorts. I began with X-E1, moved onto X-M1, then to X-T1 and funnily enough, I went back to X-M1 as I wasn't selling for the price I wanted...

In practical use it offered no real benefit to me over X-T1... and let's be clear, that's not me saying there are no differences... However I didn't feel the extra cost was a benefit to me for the added features...

My biggest gripe with the Fuji system has always been it's AF system. Image quality is amazing and I love it for that... AF on the other hand, it is the most frustrating system I have worked with. It doesn't feel responsive at all...

Before Fuji I have always shot Nikon... I still do shoot Nikon for all my professional real-estate and wedding work. However, personal day to day shoots, I have always wanted something more compact, and the Fuji has been my go-to system...

Although I prefer my Nikon full frame images over my Fuji, I found myself shooting less because the Nikon's are so big...

Then I found myself not shooting much at all after my Fuji missed a few shots due to its lack of speed...

I decided to go the size smaller than the Fuji and picked up a RX100 MK3...

Out of the box the camera felt extremely fast from AF to shutter... The wide aperture of f/1.8 allows you to get a little shallow DOF even at the wide end... and even a little at the telephoto end when shooting at f/2.8.

It's no DSLR quality by no means... but this is me comparing to a DSLR shooting at f/1.8 or f/2.8...

When you factor in the lens equivalent, the lens on the RX100 is equivalent focal length and aperture to a entry level kit lens...

Comparing to that, the Sony comes out on top.

I found myself leaving the Nikon and Fuji at home after purchasing the RX100, and although now I shoot more because it's compact ability and responsiveness... I miss the larger sensor!

The Sony as a 1" sensor which is a 2.7x crop, and I am so used to a full frame sensor... or at least an APS-C with the option of a very fast prime...

So with all that taken into consideration and the reviews of the Sony mirror less system, I can't help but want the Sony A6000...

I have never personally used one, so it's hard for me to determine if it will suit my needs well. But going on paper specs and reviews, the camera seems like a potential replacement for both my RX100 and Fuji.
I still have my reservations due to sensor size and lens selection...

So there is even a part of me which is considering the A7R or A7S...

But again, those also have their slight niggles...

The reason I'm writing this blog is to vent some thoughts... I have been checking out reviews and prices for all the Sony cameras for a while now but am trying my best to resist the purchases...

I basically have everything I need, but I just need to work with what I have a bit more...

But maybe when the A7R II or A7000 get released I may do an impulse buy...

We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment